01 June 2011

DC Goes Back to the Beginning

75 Years Of DC Comics: The Art Of Modern MythmakingDC Comics has announced that they are starting over the numbered order on all their main superhero titles in September.  So, if you know a dumbass with some money you can sell Action Comics #1 all over again. 

DC also stated that beginning with the renumbering, the comics will also be allowed digitally the same day.  As my local comic book retailer said, "Fuck that."  Personally, I read comics for the following reasons: 1) I like the stories and heroes, 2) I like the art, 3) I like the obsessive collecting instinct, not necessarily in that order.  Digital comics may give the story, but the art never translates on a screen and clicking a mouse or touchscreen does not equal treasure hunting through multiple boxes.

Also, fun fact:  "DC" stands for "Detective Comics."  Every time I hear someone say DC Comics, even though that's the companies name, I snicker with the joy that only redundancy can bring.  [New York Times]