19 June 2012

Interviews - Natalie Ford


Today continues yesterday’s theme: interviews!

I know, I thought the exclamation point would make that more exciting, too. I guess the lesson is less is more. Anyway, I am excited so the point of exclamation was not just me gussying up a boring sentence.

Today we interviewed my good friend Natalie Ford, my personal choice for our children’s librarian position. Besides being cute, funny and just pleasant to be around, Ms. Ford is also a qualified librarian, MLIS and all. I wanted this interview to go so well.

And it did.


The main reason it went so well was Betty’s suggestion. Back for Round Two of Interview Week, Betty decided that because I had a predisposition with two of our finalists (Natalie and Ava Devillis), that they should be scheduled to perform a story time as well as answer a few questions. I phoned both ladies and they both agreed that would be fine. Well, Betty phoned Ava as I feel my dislike of the woman would not be filtered through phone lines.

So Natalie came in, I introduced her to Betty and we sat down to ask a few questions about her qualifications before the parents and kids arrived. The standard fair was over quick as Natalie seemed to have almost a beauty contestant-like auto responce to the standard interview questions. She seemed to have been on a bunch of interviews to get that level of response and I imagined her snapping one day:

“Yes, if I were given the job as children’s librarian at [fill in name of library here] I would do my best to end world peace and feed all the baby seals of the world to the starving children. Clubbin baby seals, y’all. Meat ain’t all murder if you do it right. Thank you.” <courtesy>

For the story time segment of the interview, Betty introduced Natalie to the group. Natalie took over and the kids focused on her. I thought for a moment she was going to freeze, but then she shook it off and began her performance of The Little Lamb by Judy Dunn. Because the story was simple, Natalie had brought with her a bunch of cotton balls and a velcro board. When the story was done, she got all the parents to write their kids names on paper attached to the cotton balls. Then she took the cotton balls and made a lamb on the board. All the kids were excited and the parents seemed happy. I noticed Betty was enjoying the storytime a little too much and could not decide whether this was genuine to Natalie or that she was enjoying not having to do story time.

Afterward, everyone thanked Natalie and she left, cotton ball sheep in hand. We offered to keep it at the library, but she said she needed it. I guess she has other interviews than ours.

Not for long though. Not if I can help it.

Jesus, that was freakin creepy. I was trying to be nice and that came out all serial killer-y. Sorry, Natalie. I’m gonna hire you, I swear. Kay?