11 August 2011

Stealing, Losing Money and Outsourcing: This Week in Library Stuff

Lost in Yonkers (Drama, Plume)A former Yonkers library worker has plead not guilty to stealing over $160,000.  As part of the library's business office, Margret Reed had ample opportunity to allegedly steal the missing money and alter records, so claims the prosecution.  So, let me get this straight... you get away with $26ishK a year of library money and you keep doing it for 6 years cause you're so cool?  What the hell, lady?  I could see if you had a sick cat or something, but you don't.  You are just a messed up fraud that needs a mommy.  LoHud

A cafe in the Laramie County Library of Cheyenne, Wyoming has lost about $43K in the last fiscal year.  The cafe space was once operated by an outside company until they were evicted from the library space for late rent.  Since then, the library has been staffing the cafe.  And how.  I did a lot of restaurant work.  Many library skills apply: attention to detail, ability to make coffee, good with inventory.  Where do librarians almost always suck: money.  Seriously, there's usually only one person in the building that can count down a drawer and they do it with a giant calculator.  The kind with a slot machine arm.  WyomingNews

OutsourcedWell, the ALA has reared its head and talked a little about "privatization," ACBKA (also could be known as) "outsourcing."  In a document called Keep Libraries Public, the ALA points out that outsourcing is not privatization and libraries should keep it all in the family except when they don't have to.  I think Michael Corleone thought that, too.  Just like the people we talked about with the cafe, there are some things that libraries should not do.  Hell, I think I would give my right arm to have Kinko's come in and take over the labs and copies.  I would love to see that.  Meet Bob, he's a Kinko's dude, is better trained and better paid than 90% of our paraprofessionals.  Call him if you need help navigating the strange land of The Google.  They could probably write that off on their taxes.  LibraryJournal