01 March 2011

Harper Collins Make Librarian SMASH!

HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics: A Child's First Collection
More like "Treasury of Lies!" Ptoo!

Harper Collins Publishing announced this week that it will limit lending of its ebooks in libraries and other venues to only 26 times.  Man, librarian's got pissed, says Techeye.  I really am upset by this, but as of right now my library is a member of the Waitansee tribe as far as ebooks go, so it does not directly affect me.  However, I can place myself in the shoes of others due to my over-active imagination and wit (or lack ther of).  Let's see how Brenda from Reference and Dave from Tech Serv discuss this problem:

Brenda
Hey, Dave.  Look, I have some bad news about all those Harper Collins ebooks you just bought for the library on that grant you have been working on for weeks.

Dave
What kind of bad news?  I mean, it can not be that bad.  I mean, we used all that government money that I worked so hard to get to help out our patrons who are also in dire financial conditions.  We even used the cash to buy ereaders to check out so our patrons can carry an armload of books in just one tiny bit of plastic, helping them out even more.  What could be wrong with all that help and goodness?  Isn't life grand?

Brenda
Oh, Dave, this is going to upset you.

Dave
It is okay, Brenda.  Just let me know what you are thinking on this lovely sunny day.  Can you hear the birds?

Brenda
But I don't want to spoil your mood.

Dave
Well, you are almost doing that right now.  You are making me angry.  You wouldn't like it when I am angry.

Brenda
That's... that's kinda messed up.  Maybe we should have some other people around.

Dave
I was just kidding, what did you want to tell me?

Brenda
Harper Collins has limited the amount their ebooks can be lended to 26 times.

Dave
DAVE ANGRY!! DAVE SMASH!

Brenda
Dave, calm down!  They'll see reason, its okay.

Dave
DAVE NO CALM!! DAVE BREAK LITTLE EBOOK READER!!! HARPER COLLINS BAD!!!!

Brenda
Oh, God, he's loose!  Someone call the police!  Dave... Dave is on a rampage.  Oh, it will take months to reshelve all those!

Fin