![]() Chicago Tribune | Librarian's episode on Jeapordy to air Dec. 31 Chicago Tribune Ana Peso, a librarian at Glenbrook North High School, has become a celebrity of sorts after her appearance on the game show "Jeopardy" – even though she can't say how she did until it airs on Dec. 31. "It was like fulfilling a dream I've had," Peso said. |
But while cruising through the article linked above, we noticed something funny with the way she prepared for this tournament of intellectual giants. We have selected and put in "bold" the areas of the article we were most concerned about because we just learned what that giant "B" is for in the "Edit" menu:
With a bachelor's degree in history and a master's in library science and educational psychology from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, she reads novels from Agatha Christy to historical fiction and frequently reads Wikipedia and clicks on their links.
....
Also, the article did not get Agatha Christie's name correct, which just... Holy crap, Chicago Tribune, even my spell check got that right. Unless they knew some famous trivia novelist named Agatha Christy who wrote bathroom readers or something. Then, okay, you got me.
"I reviewed history in Wikipedia. I tried to read geography, too and brush up on all my capitols, lakes and rivers," she said.So, here we are on a national stage, a librarian representative showing the world the power of the written word... And Wikipedia gets not one but two shout outs? I could see saying, "I used Wikipedia to find better articles on the internet," or simply "I used Internet resources," but a children's librarian basically saying she prepped for what is known in most circles as "that smart show" by using a poor, hobbled together study guide... Examples, examples, please be examples of good researching, librarians.
Also, the article did not get Agatha Christie's name correct, which just... Holy crap, Chicago Tribune, even my spell check got that right. Unless they knew some famous trivia novelist named Agatha Christy who wrote bathroom readers or something. Then, okay, you got me.
