15 September 2011

Starbucks Free eBook Is Too Good to Be True

Starbucks has announced that along with the iTunes App Store "Pick of the Week" free song, it will give its customers a free ebook as well.  However, the fine print claims that the ebook is an "extended sample."  For instance, the first book up is Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and contains 330 pages of the complete text.  The book is only 400 pages long.  The last page of the 'free' version has a link to buy the 'full' version for $12.99. This has caused some users to become a little angry at the company.  MyNorthwest

I can not decide if I like this or not.  On one hand, I dislike Starbucks.  I have a coffee maker, it makes coffee.  It cost $35, has a timer and not much else.  In my estimation it paid for itself in three days of not buying my coffee outside.  It makes me feel good to see Starbucks get negative press.

On the other hand, I also like to see suckers mad when they did not read the little writing under "free."  I mean, wow, that's a dick move to charge $13 for 70 pages, but you were also paying $6 for a cup of coffee with foamy milk, whip cream and some flavored sugar powder so I can not feel bad for ya.