12 July 2011

Oh Snap! Penelope Lively Dissin on eBooks, Nerds

TNA Wrestling Deluxe Impact Series 2 Action Figure Hulk Hogan
What you gonna do, Brother Kindle?!
Prolific author Penelope Lively has stated, well, here's the full quote:
“But as a general way of reading books, no. It seems to me that anyone whose library consists of a Kindle lying on a table is some sort of bloodless nerd.” [Telegraph]
Dude, I think she was talking about us! I am almost offended.  Almost.  I have to admit "bloodless nerd" is a pretty good turn of phrase.

Here's where I take issue, though.  I read a lot of crap.  I went to school for English, read all kinds of great literature from old dusty tomes, and still have shelves of the greatest of literature of all time.  So now I read what I want, what's fun.  But I don't want that crap on my shelf.  So when a cheap, shelf-saving way to get the books that I enjoy comes along I am all about it.  Hell, I have promised to read 100 Banned Books by October 1st (I'm working hard, don't push me), and my library does not stock some of these because, well, they are controversial.  I also don't want Gossip Girl on my shelves.  Again, cheap, shelf saving.  Would I rather curl up with a good book, feel the pages turn, make notes in the margin?  Hell, yes, but I do not need to be reprimanded because I am being fiscally and spatially responsible.

So call me a 'bloodless nerd.'  Just don't call me a Twilight fan.