31 March 2011

Cell Phones in the Library: Pittsburg Woman Arrested

Admission Matters: What Students and Parents Need to Know About Getting into CollegeIn Pittsburg last week, a woman was arrested in the Los Meanos college library for "suspicion of resisting arrest" after police confronted her about using her cellphone in the library.  What happened during the incident is under dispute, however everyone can agree that she was talking on her cell phone in the library at some point.  That alone should be a crime.

I don't want to get off on a rant here about cell phones, but when did we need to be connected to everyone at all times?  Is no place sacred?  If I walked into your church during services and started talking at high volume, I would get kicked the hell out, yet the jackass next to me in the college library while I am trying to study gets free reign?  And put the phone down when you know you will be interacting with others.  I do not care if you are going through the drive-thru at Wendy's, put down the damn phone and give the server/waitress/librarian/dude with smock a little bit of respect instead of dismissing them.

Whew.  I felt really old there for a second in a "You damn kids get off my lawn" kinda way.  Ah, don't you worry, cell phoners.  You are okay, I guess.  Except for the folks with that little glowing thing stuck in your ear.  We used to stone people who stuck things in their ears and talked to themselves, ya know.  Shakes cane in the air and waves it like just don't care.


Mercury News