16 February 2011

Tax Season Got a Whole Lot More Interesting

J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax 2011: For Preparing Your 2010 Tax Return
Dat ain't my income tax...
How do you really mess with not just poor people but old people, too?  Try to fundamentally change anything.  How do you do that more effectively?  Change the taxes.  Hooooeeeeleeeeee Sheeeeeet!  This is the best tax season ever!

Here are two accounts, one from Library Journal and one from Tales from Library Land, about how the whole situation has gone down.  Personally, I am relatively young for my profession and in the 14ish years I have paid taxes I have never once done it with paper.  I either paid someone to do it or did it online.  Or just called it a wash when they raised the taxes on booze.  College was fun.

Anyway, this year Uncle Sam just stopped with all that "free paper" nonsense.  Those who started doing their taxes with a rock and chisel freaked out when they realized they had to do them on the space calculator now.  Those who could not afford to have someone else do it for them freaked out when they realized this may cut down on their Farmville time on the library's computer.  Then to top it all off, the damn forms were not sent out on time.  And who does the government, public and neighboring planets look at to solve this problem?  The freaking libraries.  This in a time when the government is cutting funding and grant money for libraries.  Oh, I got nothing to say on that, my hands do not type that fast and I am too mad.  I have the utmost respect for our president, but his budget cuts are ridiculous.  I would say more, but I am not dealing with the Secret Service again this year.  Fucking taxes.