11 February 2011

Does 'Parks and Recreation' Stereotype Librarians?

Parks & Recreation: Season TwoUsually when I do a search in the morning for news on libraries and librarians, I find the usual "Blah Library is Having a Bake Sale" and "Librarian Fired for Eating Child's Hotdog" etc, etc.  Today, it seems all Google News wants to let me in on is the scoop about a "crazy" librarian played by Megan Mullally on "Parks and Recreation."  I am not here to discuss the show.  I have seen a few episodes and found them delightful and worthy of the banner NBC has built for itself.  I just have nothing else to write about today except an alien book thing, but it is on Fox News so who gives a shit.  Seriously, it could be the lost sea scroll that tells Jesus was an alien, the same immortal alien that built the pyramids and I would be all, pshhh Fox News.  So I why don't we talk about this TV show.

Honestly, I am not even here to discuss whether or not 'P&R' hates librarians.  I know they are attempting to make a comedy show about city government and part of that is mocking or characterizing every department therein.  I do not blame them.  What I do blame them for is pushing the stereotype of librarians as drunken sex-crazed deviants who want to do nothing but steal children's hot dogs.  That happened once and I the librarian involved only had a small mention in a local paper.  Why can't we be known as the quiet, conservative people we are, locked away in our shells of oppression?  I miss the days when I could see my co-worker Brenda in Reference wearing a stylish bun and cardigan, not the mini-skirts, thigh-high boots and a low-cut tops that society expects, nay demands, librarians to wear.

Shame on you "P&R."  We are librarians and we demand respect.

Check out a real review by someone who watches the show here.