22 December 2010

"A Dog of Flanders" Finds Way Home After 76 Years

Worth more than your soul?

After 76 years, Mark McKee finally returned the book "A Dog of Flanders" to the Mount Clemens, MI public library.  Whew, thank god, I was getting worried.  Every time I went in for the last 75 years I would ask, "Has the book come back yet?"  The staff would just shake their heads and look to the floor.  They bought another copy, and another after that one was destroyed by Tommy Tomerson's labradoodle, but this is about the principle of the thing.  Now the library says that on top of not charging him fines estimated in the thousands, they are not putting the book into circulation.  Rather, they are displaying the book and Mr. McKee's letter as an example that crime pays.  At least that is what I learned from it.  Also, do not be too greedy with the thieving.  Someone should know better now.


Original, more truthful and heart-warming story here.


Image